Keep a close watch on the slopes in your neighborhood. If you see early warning signs of landslides, please report it to the Local Authority or the Public Works Department. This will enable them to inspect the site and to take appropriate measures if necessary.
CALL 1300 888 557 TO REPORT SIGNS OF LANDSLIDE
ON OR AROUND SLOPES:
- Bulging ground appears at the base of a slope or retaining walls
- Water breaks through the ground surface in a new location near a slope
- Water appears at the base of a slope
- Fences, retaining walls, utility poles, or trees tilt or move.
- Cracks appear on the slope
- Water pipes break.
AROUND YOUR HOUSE:
- Cracks appear on the ground or in the foundation of houses, buildings and other structures.
- Structures on slopes moving away from their original position.
- Doors or windows stick or jam for the first time.
- Bulging ground appear at the base of a slope or retaining wall.
AROUND YOUR COMMUNITY GROUNDS:
- Sunken or down-dropped road beds.
- Slowly developing, widening cracks appear on the ground or on paved areas.
- Land movement and small slides.
- Outside walls, walkways, or stairs begin pulling away from the building.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR A LANDSLIDE EMERGENCY
Before a landslide
- Monitor your surroundings for early signs of landslips
- Develop an evacuation plan for your family.
- Prepare an emergency bag for yourself or for your family
- Be aware of the landslide warning system for your area.
During a Landslide
- Inform your neighbours, they may not be aware of potential hazards.
- Getting out of the path of a landslide or debris flow is your best protection.
- Curl into a tight ball and protect your head if escape is not possible.
After a Landslide
- Check for injuries if any and inform rescuers for immediate treatment.
- Stay away from the landslides area, as there may be dangers or additional slides.
TO REPORT SIGNS OF LANDSLIDES – CALL 1300 888 557